Staten Island’s public transportation is operated by the MTA and consists of the Staten Island Railroad and several bus lines. Ride the subway line that goes to one side of the borough. It is also above ground which is a totally unique experience! You can use your MetroCard on the bus and train.
VIEW TRAIN STATIONS NEAR YOU
You can buy or add money to your MetroCard at a MetroCard Vending Machine (MVM). MVMs are fast and easy to use.
The larger machines accept cash, credit cards, or ATM/debit cards. The small MVMs are for credit cards or ATM/debit cards only. They do not accept cash.
All you have to do to get started is touch the vending machine screen. The screen will ask you what type of MetroCard you want and take you through the steps to buy it.
You can buy:
- MetroCard, with value from $5.50 to $80
- 7-Day or 30-Day Unlimited MetroCard
- 7-Day Express Bus Plus MetroCard
Note: A SingleRide ticket costs $3 and is available for cash only at the large vending machines. It is good for a subway or bus trip only within two hours of purchase. It gives you a free bus-to-bus transfer, but no transfer between subway and bus.
More About MVMs
- A $1 fee applies to each new MetroCard purchase. The fee does not apply to card refills or Reduced-Fare MetroCards. Save by refilling and reusing your card.
- Large MVMs accept cash. They can only return up to $9 in change. The change given includes dollar coins, not bills.
- You can request a receipt when you finish your purchase. It's a good idea to get a receipt or note the MVM number in case you have a question later.
- If there's a problem during your purchase, the MVM will automatically dispense a receipt. Keep it for proof of your transaction. It lists the machine number and the date.
- Reduced-fare MetroCard customers can add money or unlimited rides to their cards at MVMs.
- MVMs meet all requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act. An audio feature is available for people with partial or total vision loss; headsets are necessary for use. The machines can be used by those who read Braille.
- When you use a credit card at an MVM, it will ask you to enter your zip code for verification. Note: If your credit card has a billing address outside the U.S., type in “99999” when prompted for a zip code, and the MVM will authorize the transaction.