The New Dorp branch of The New York Public Library is one of the busiest on Staten Island.
Established by local residents, the New Dorp Community Library opened in 1907. By 1909, it was receiving books from The New York Public Library's Traveling Library (the Bookmobile), and in 1926 New Dorp became an official branch of NYPL. In 2000, an extensive renovation was completed including a redesigned exterior and remodeled interior.
The children's room contains story steps for toddlers and preschoolers. The adult collection includes books in Chinese, Russian, and Spanish. English classes for speakers of other languages are held throughout the year.