The Stapleton Branch of The New York Public Library, which originally opened in 1907, is located on Canal Street, near the center of Stapleton Village and adjacent to Tappen Park and the Old Village Hall. The graceful, single story, brick and limestone building was constructed with funds provided by Andrew Carnegie and designed by Carrère and Hastings.
The library was closed in 2010 for extensive expansion and renovations, and reopened on June 11, 2013, to great fanfare. Today the Stapleton Branch continues to be a center of community life. The branch serves its diverse neighborhood by presenting programs for all ages, providing access to computer technology, and lending books, magazines, and other media to inform, educate, and entertain.