The St. George Library Center of The New York Public Library was opened on June 26, 1907. The largest library on Staten Island, it was designed by Carrere and Hastings, architects of the neighboring Borough Hall and County Court House. The Main Reading Room features an impressive beamed ceiling of massive timbers, which were obscured for thirty years.
We have exhibition space in our Reference Room available. Call us for details!
Rising behind the circulation desk are stained glass windows created by New York artist David Wilson, which reveal a spectacular view of the New York harbor through the clear lower panes. The branch is air-conditioned and fully accessible to people who use wheelchairs. A spruce-up project in 2001 provided more PCs for public use, a computer lab in the Center for Reading and Writing, and new carpeting and paint throughout the building.